The earliest record of the building is from the ledger
book c1300 as a property owned by one John King. By 1584 the
property was known as "Kings" and included a brewhouse
and yards. By 1635 it became known as the Swan.
Although the property was extended in the 19th century
with the addition of the East & West wings, some of the
original beams are still to be seen.
The Swan is a good example of the increase in property
values. It was mortgaged for £400 in 1781, sold for £750 in 1830
and for £1,850 in 1895. (in 1789 it was let for £10 per year).